It was a particularly cold Wairarapa winters night, my wooden Greytown villa was impossible to heat. A year in perpetual summer seemed appealing.



I was talking on the phone with Jarl and I remember saying that it will be an adventure. If that was the only reason I went to Saudi then it's been one hell of a success.



These are my adventures from since arriving in Riyadh, one August high summer night. Mostly travel orientated but also an account of life in Saudi, compound style, on the rare occassions something intersting happened.




Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Syria

My departure for Syria was controversial. I had been assigned to a new project the day before, the bossman and uncle, Milan, was less than impressed that his help had arrived and would be working for one two days before going on holiday. Naturally when I corrected him that it was actually one day before I left the atmosphere didn’t improve.

It was very late when I got to my lovely hotel and was shagged the next day. I pressed ahead with a tour of the Citadel and Souq’s. The later are apparently housed in some of the oldest buildings alive. It was tight and crowded that I just get any pics but was a lively and incredible natural place. I was itching to do the tour to Damascus via the Dead Cities. Old cities that were abandoned centuries ago, for no apparent reason. What I didn’t realise was that not only are they abandoned but they are also ruins long since crumbled into the desert.
The old town at Damascus was great, an interesting mix of intensive souq and back alleys. I got some of my best night shots, that was an inspiring night.   

















 

No comments:

Post a Comment